Managers Start of Season Information
Management duties: (yes there are a few things to mention but please don’t feel overwhelmed. We are trying to include as many details as possible now to hopefully save confusion/wonder later)
- Be in touch with the league as far as scheduling/rescheduling and rules - we will inform you of a meeting to attend with your league to ensure games are scheduled and you should then receive a rulebook and other information.
- Get equipment from Bashaw Minor Ball for your team/coach- we can work with you on this.
- Send a list of equipment, that your team would like to request for the season, to the person in charge of equipment for the association (Kristy Dawbin 403-741-8502)(asap) and keep her updated if more is needed throughout the season, with ample notice.
- Get uniforms from BMB for each player on your team. Sarah Congdon is our uniform coordinator- her cell = 780-781-5741
- Book Umpires if you need hired umpires—(usually only older teams such as U11 and up) **Umpires will invoice BMB either monthly or at the end of the season. Please keep track of which umpires worked at which games so that we have something to compare with their invoices. We are trying to get a list of Baseball Umpires compiled and Softball Umpire information is shared at the scheduling meeting and through email.
- Book the Bashaw Ball Diamonds for any time that you will be using them—practices and home games—by calling the Bashaw Town Office at 780-372-3911—Please ONLY book the diamonds when you will be using them so that make up games of other teams can use times that you are not using them (i.e. if you have an away game).
- Produce a volunteer schedule for each of your home games--all parents can help and take shifts for diamond set up (2 people/game), scorekeeper, and umpire (if not being done by hired umpire). You may also want a scorekeeper for each away game too.
- Collaborate with your coach to make decisions for your team.
- Communicate schedules and any other information with each member of your team. We recommend TeamSnap as a great communication tool and all you need are email addresses to set it up (which I have provided in the excel document). Just Google TeamSnap and it is pretty user friendly to get set up.
- Each team will need a key to the Sea Can so you can have access to/store equipment and balls etc. in there. Please sign one out at the Bashaw Town Office. That same key opens the boxes at each diamond where the bases/diamond set up equipment is. Please note: The Sea Can had a habit of being left open previous years so please try to double-check that it is locked before leaving the diamonds. It does not require a key to lock it so you can recruit helpers for this.
- There are flush bathrooms at the diamonds, as well as some upgrades around bleacher areas etc. Let’s try to keep these new things looking new.
- We are in the process of setting up pitching and skills clinics. Stay tuned for information about registering, times, and locations for these clinics.
- There are Tournaments in all of our leagues that are available for our teams. You will probably get information about them at scheduling/AGM meetings that the leagues host or you can always look on Softball Alberta/Baseball Alberta websites to find information about them. Just a note: They usually fill up early and we have been unable to attend some in the past because of this. All the boys’ teams had a league wind up tournament last year. None of the girls’ teams did. The fee is $10.00, per player, to play in a tournament. Please collect these fees from your team, if you are going to a tournament, and give to Sarah Congdon.
- You will receive a document with contact/medical information for all of your players. Please carry this with you to all practices/games whether it is on your phone or on paper. We hope it will not be needed but better to be prepared.
- There are some nights when we have more teams than diamonds available for practices. We hope this won’t happen too often. If there are any times that diamonds are double booked please have patience, flexibility, and preparedness for this.
- Our Batting Cage is ready for use. We have worked very hard to provide this for our players and we hope it is respected and cared for during its use.
- Criminal Record Checks are now required for all managers and coaches. These can be obtained for free through your local detachment. Baseball coaches/managers have the option to obtain one through RAMP for a fee of $25.00. If you have one from last year it is good for 3 years but there is a declaration form you may be required to fill out saying nothing has changed for the 2nd and 3rd year. We are still waiting to get more information about this.
- We are asking that each of our Head coaches please take the following online courses and we will reimburse their fees. Some of them may already have the equivalent of these or more so if there are any questions please let us know.
- a) NCCP ($37.45) - https://nccp.baseball.ca/register.php
- b) SAFE SPORT (FREE) - https://safesport.coach.ca/participants-training
- We are asking that each of our Assistant coaches please take the following online course and we will reimburse you for its fees. Some of them may already have the equivalent of these or more so if there are any questions please let us know.
- a) RESPECT IN SPORT ($30.00) - http://baseballalberta.com/content/respect-in-sport
- There are specific new guidelines on the Baseball Alberta website with recommendations on how to run the 9U Rookie program. Here is a direct link them.
- If you think of anything we have missed, please let us know so we can try to have things run as smooth as possible for future managers.
- We want Bashaw Minor Ball to be a place that everyone wants to play. Please be encouraging for all players. Some players have a natural ability to play ball and some work hard at it. Please remind coaches and parents to refrain from discouraging remarks.
Thanks again for volunteering to be your team’s manager!
If you have any questions or concerns please contact us: